15 things to do on a rainy day in Portsmouth
January 16. 2023
If the weather is bad, there is still plenty to do here in Portsmouth. Here are our top 15 things to do on a rainy day in Portsmouth
- Visit the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and explore the many historic ships and exhibits, including the HMS Victory and the Mary Rose Museum. As part of the ticket you can take a boat tour of Portsmouth Harbor to see the city from a different perspective and learn about its rich maritime history. Raincoats advised! You can also visit the Submarine Museum and the Museum of Naval fire Power in Gosport.
- Go up the Spinnaker Tower for a panoramic view of the city and the harbour.
- Visit the Portsmouth Museum, which has a wide range of artefacts and exhibits on the city's history and culture.
- Visit Portsmouth Cathedral, a historic cathedral dating back to the 11th century.
- Visit Gunwharf Quays, a designer outlet shopping and dining complex with over 90 shops, restaurants, and cafes.
- Visit the Charles Dickens Birthplace Museum, which is dedicated to the life and works of the famous author.
- For more literary heroes, you can visit the Conan Doyle Collection at Portsmouth Museum and learn how Sherlock Holmes came to life.
- Visit Southsea Castle, a historical fort built in 1544 by King Henry VIII.
- Take a trip to the D-Day Story, which tells the story of the Normandy landings and the Battle of Normandy during World War II.
- Visit the new Pitt Street Indoor Skatepark, which also hosts roller discos!
- Visit pigeon books on Albert Road, an independent bookshop that offers a wide range of books for all ages.
- Visit dog-friendly Southsea Coffee Co, a cosy Coffee shop that offers a wide range of drinks and snacks.
- Sit inside the Coffee Cup Cafe on the seafront and watch the waves crash onto the shore.
- Buy fish and chips and eat them in your car on the seafront
- Visit Exploria with the kids, a huge indoor soft play area on the seafront